Software and system development
GeoMEM offers a complete software and, with our electronics design associates, hardware specification, design and development service.
Whether your project is small or large, short term or long term, simple or complex, GeoMEM can provide the expertise to realise your design. Please contact GeoMEM, in confidence, to discuss your requirements.
Please see the summary sections below:
Experience and expertise
Our experience and expertise has been built up over man-decades of work in the industry and is especially suited to geological data processing and field instrumentation systems.
Our areas of expertise include:
- Data processing and calculations. Using both simple and complex algorithms.
- Data conversion and import / export methods.
- Data display – both textual and graphical.
- Data communication (as detailed in PC to device Communications).
Projects have included:
- Development of geophysical (VLF) analysis software for exploration project work (1981).
- Development of one of the first DOS based core-logging applications (DRILLOG) in 1985.
- Rock sample database and tracking system for BP Minerals.
- Borehole logging application (DRILLOG) for BP Minerals.
- Barcode based core log system for ARC (now Hanson Aggregates) and RTZ (Coal Division).
- Soil analysis software for ARC and other UK aggregate companies.
- Development of control and processing software for the REFLEX INSTRUMENT range of borehole survey instruments. Including the MAXIBOR and EMS systems.
- Development of control and processing software for the FLEXIT range of borehole survey instruments. Including the SmartTool and GyroSmart systems.
- Depth encoding system for borehole survey winches.
- Research in the mid 1990s into the feasibility of voice based field logging systems. Not taken on to commercial project level.
A more detailed summary of the main projects is available here.
Since 1985 our development languages have included:
- Various "dialects" of BASIC
- Borland/Turbo Pascal and Delphi (Pascal)
- Visual Basic 6
- C# / VB.NET, .NET development tools
Currently preferred languages are C# and VB.NET (for new projects) and Visual Basic 6 (for legacy projects). Latest projects use Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) with Caliburn.Micro for modern User Interface development.
Application platforms have included:
- MS-DOS, DR-DOS
- Windows 3, Windows 95/98, Windows 2000/NT
- Windows XP / Vista / Windows 7
- .NET 1.1 to 4.0
- Pocket PC (Windows Mobile)
GeoMEM has developed applications on a range of computer systems:
- Rugged field computers, such as the Husky Hunter (early 1990’s) up to the present day TDS Recon / Nomad series (Pocket PC) and Itronix Duo Touch (tablet PC).
- DOS and Windows based desktops and laptops.
- Dedicated terminal systems (Programmable logic units).
- Control of instrumentation and electronic devices, especially related to field use.
GeoMEM has extensive experience of the following instrument-to-PC-communication methods:
- Direct wired RS232 (serial) communication (Early Reflex Maxibor and EMS, Devico instruments).
- InfraRed based serial communication (Reflex Maxibor 2, EZ-AQ, EZ-Trak).
- Public frequency wireless based serial communication (FlexIT SmartTool series).
- USB serial communication (FlexIT SmartTool series, Devico instruments).
- Bluetooth serial communication (FlexIT GyroSmart / Reflex Gyro).
Our reputation stands on treating all potential and actual projects with complete confidentiality and we are willing to sign confidentiality agreements at any stage in a project, from an initial enquiry onwards.